Planning & Zoning Commission
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Agendas and Minutes.
MembershipThe Planning and Zoning Commission is comprised of seven residents of the City of Cottonwood appointed by City Council, with at least 2 of whom shall be qualified by design-related background, training or experience, including architecture, landscape architecture, interior design, planning, fine arts or other design-related background.
The seven members of the Planning and Zoning Commission are citizen volunteers appointed by the City Council to conduct hearings and make recommendations to the City Council on requests for development applications, including proposed zoning changes and subdivisions. The Commission also considers and makes the final decision to approve, approve with conditions or deny applications for Conditional Use Permits. Additionally, the Commission reviews and makes recommendations regarding amendments to the Zoning Ordinance and Cottonwood General Plan, as well as other long-range planning efforts. Members are appointed for staggered terms of three years.
DutiesIt shall be the duty of the Commission to:
- Formulate and administer any lawful plan duly adopted by the Council for the present and future growth and development of the City of Cottonwood, pertaining to the use of land and buildings for any purpose
- Make or cause to be made a continuous study of the best present and future use to which land and buildings shall be put within the City of Cottonwood and in cooperation with adjacent areas
- Recommend to the Council revisions in such plans which, in the opinion of the Commission, are for the best interest of the citizens of the City of Cottonwood to hold public hearings where necessary
- Make recommendations to the Council on all matters concerning or relating to the creation of zoning districts, the boundaries thereof, the appropriate regulations to be enforced therein and amendments of this Ordinance
- Carry out the specific duties as associated therewith and commonly known as "Planning and Zoning."
- The Commission is also authorized to confer and advise with other city, county, regional or state planning commissions.