Verde Valley Regional Special Weapons And Tactics Team
MissionThe mission of the Verde Valley Regional SWAT Team is to provide a well-disciplined, well-trained, efficient unit, which can be utilized in situations where the public and individual officers are in danger and at a distinct disadvantage.
Team HistoryVerde Valley Regional SWAT team began in 2004 as an ad hoc team. The goal was to utilize tactics above what an average patrol officer would use to secure a situation. As time passed, the team gained more training, experience, and equipment. Based on the standards set by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), through the National Incident Management System (NIMS), the Verde Valley Regional SWAT team meets the requirements of a Type II Tactical Team.
Team MembersThe Regional team consists of a negotiation team, entry team, and marksman/observer team, which may be comprised of members from Cottonwood Police Department, Sedona Police Department, Camp Verde Marshal's Office, Clarkdale Police Department, Jerome Police Department, and the Cottonwood Fire Department.
TrainingTraining is conducted two days per month in all areas of SWAT operations. Personnel undergo a strenuous selection process prior to being added to the team. Members must maintain high standards to remain active with the team.
The Verde Valley Regional Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) Team is tasked with a wide array of assignments and responsibilities as directed by the Chief of Police. These assignments include but are not limited to:
- Active Shooter Response
- Barricaded Subject Resolution
- Countering terrorist operations
- Dignitary Protection
- Fugitive Apprehension
- Hostage Rescue
- Providing additional security at special events
- Providing assistance on drug raids, arrest warrants, and search warrants
- Rescuing officers and citizens captured or endangered by gunfire
- Resolving high-risk situations with a minimum loss of life, injury, or property damage
- Riot Control
- Stabilizing dangerous situations dealing with violent criminals
- Stabilizing situations involving high-risk suicidal subjects